Updated MusicBrainz Picard Plugins for tango.info

2010 July 23
by Simba
Green Tree Python by Sebastian Niedlich (Grabthar), on Flickr
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 Generic License by  Sebastian Niedlich (Grabthar)

I had a couple of requests for the plugins for MusicBrainz Picard in the last months. I haven’t used them much myself, as there sadly are few contributers on tango music to the MusicBrainz metadata database.

However, I just checked whether they worked with the current format of tracks.csv from tango.info and the newest release of Picard (0.12.1). With one minor adjustment, they now do, and I uploaded the new versions to be found on the tagging with MusicBrainz Picard page.

2 Responses leave one →
  1. 2010 July 24

    > there sadly are few contributers on tango music to the MusicBrainz metadata database.

    FWIW, the reason I am not one is I find Windows Picard unusable on a sizable library. E.g. when I run it on 30K tracks on a 2Gb machine, it consumes all available virtual memory, askes for more, then grinds to a halt and crashes.

    I’d be interested to hear what is the largest number of tracks for which other users have found success.

  2. 2010 July 26

    It is true that Picard has problems with large number of tracks, but I find it most useful for first time tagging/cleanup and that is typically on an album by album basis.

    Personally, I am a little reluctant to updating too many tracks at the time, as it is harder to notice if one makes a mistake, and mistakes can take a while to clean up later — if you discover them.

    Then there is always the opportunity of writing a really clean and fast third party application interfacing with the MusicBrainz database. Which is quite good, and is prepared for most things you would ever need for tango, but it would be a lot of work to incorporate it all, obviously.

Leave a Reply

Note: You can use basic XHTML in your comments. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS